The Wellness Revolution Podcast with Amber Shaw
TWR 065: How Does Alcohol Affect Weight Loss?
Join this episode of The Wellness Revolution as Amber talks about the effects of alcohol in the body and its impact on weight loss overall. Alcohol itself has a great amount of empty calories, meaning it has no nutritional value, no micronutrients and no macronutrients, which means that all of the calories consumed from the alcoholic drink end up having no benefits to your body and to your health.
Does alcohol affect weight loss? Yes, it does, but maybe not due to the reasons you think. Drinking alcohol at a party or social event for example can lead to overeating, which can cause an increase in the caloric intake. Anyone that has had a few too many drinks also knows that hangovers are not amazing, and this lethargic feeling can also lead to overeating and ‘snacking’ all day. Alcohol also affects gut health and many other factors that, directly or indirectly, influence weight loss. Tune in!
- “I do put alcohol in a similar bucket as indulging, meaning I can’t sugarcoat this. If you have alcohol, more than probably a couple of times a week, is it going to impede your ability to lose weight? Abso-freakin-lutely.” – Amber Shaw
- Alcohol is made of empty calories, meaning that if you believe food is medicine and fuel to your health and overall wellbeing, alcohol has no value at all;
- Too much alcohol can increase the chances of different diseases, the main one being liver disease;
- Having drinks during a social event or during a party can also lead to overeating, “snacking” all the time, and eating more than we actually need;
- Alcohol causes hangover, which can make you feel lethargic, with no energy to exercise for example, and in a “hungry” mood the next day;
- Alcohol also has a huge influence over our gut health and, depending on your age, this should be a focus of attention.
- Get your Magnesium L-Threonate from Cymbiotika here, and use code AMBER15 for 15% off
- FREE Guide on Intermittent Fasting: ambershaw.com/fasting
About Amber Shaw
Amber is a Body Transformation Expert, Founder of The Wellness Revolution, motivational speaker, and NBC Health and Wellness Coach. Having built a lifestyle that allowed her to embrace work, children, exercise, and well-balanced eating habits, Amber now works with helping and coaching women to achieve the same level of serenity and empowerment through a sustainable way of living.
Connect with Amber
Facebook: Amber Shaw