The Wellness Revolution Podcast with Amber Shaw
TWR 074: Let’s Talk Libido with Libidoologist Dr. Renee Wellenstein
In this episode, we are tearing down the walls and getting real talking about all things related to the female libido with the Libidoologist, herself, Dr. Renee Wellenstein. You may be surprised by a few things you hear in today’s episode about a topic we normally (ahem, especially women) shy away from.
First, Renee discusses what libido is. While many may think of it as just the sex drive, Renee goes a bit further and extends the definition to a more emotional state– the desire and need for connection and intimacy. This definition really sets the foundation for the rest of the episode, because it makes libido more an issue of mindset than action.
For example, when Amber and Renee first start the conversation, Amber gives the scenario of women doing most of the housework, taking care of the children, running errands– all of this on top of their own jobs. *Enter husband* The expectation becomes that women should jump in their husband’s arms as they whisk them away to the bedroom. This can lead to a feeling of resentment that can be a detriment to the libido and cause it to decrease over time.
The other part of the mindset that comes up throughout the episode relates to self-care and self-esteem. If you are feeling depleted and don’t even feel like taking care of yourself, how can you love being with someone else intimately? If your mind races with negativity and poor body image throughout your day because of your dietary choices, how does this affect your libido? As Amber and Renee state early in the episode, libido starts outside of the bedroom before it ever goes inside of it.
You in, Mama? Tune in for more!
- “If we want to live a long, healthy, sexy life… it’s really better for us to adopt habits that are sustainable and lifelong.” –Dr. Renee Wellenstein
- Renee introduces herself, and in doing so, talks about important concepts such as: life purpose, what we do when we hit our rock bottom, what we’re willing to do to feel like ‘we have our life back’;
- While not hating on conventional medicine doctors and methods, Renee and Amber discuss the advantages and disadvantages of conventional medicine and then compare it to functional medicine;
- Self-care and mindset can be the biggest factors when trying to boost the libido in women;
- If self-care and mindset are factors in boosting libido, then topics of nutrition must be discussed. Because for many women, nutrition is paramount to confidence and body image;
- Exercise that you love to do is vital to boosting your confidence and something that Dr. Renee deems as “very important” to increase the libido.
- Join the waitlist to get all the details on a brand new high-touch mentorship: www.ambershaw.com/mentor
- Get 15% off Cymbiotika with my discount code by clicking here: AMBER15
About Dr. Renee Wellenstein
Dr. Renee is a double board-certified doctor who has been working with women for over 20 years and due to her own personal health challenges, she stepped outside the box of conventional medicine to take a radically different approach to heal herself from the deep depths of burnout. About a decade ago, Dr. Renee was living what she thought was her dream life; she was an extremely busy Ob/Gyn, married to a doctor, with toddler twins and had moved to a quaint, quiet town in the country. One day in May 2012, Dr. Renee fell off of her horse during a riding lesson and broke her back. She not only struggled with severe back pain, but with fatigue and the inability to focus. Her doctor diagnosed her with depression, but her symptoms did not improve after trying two different antidepressants.
Two years after her injury, Dr. Renee was still struggling with unexplained symptoms. After exhausting all of her options in the conventional healthcare system, she was put in contact with a doctor who was an “anti-aging” practitioner. She finally received the appropriate diagnosis, her symptoms resolved and she got back on her feet and joined the world of functional medicine. In August 2019, Dr. Renee started Kaspira Elite Health Consulting, LLC. Throughout her journey, she has certainly faced her fair share of obstacles and has mastered the art of leaping into transitions with each pivot. Now Dr. Renee empowers women to take control of their health, jumpstart their energy, improve their confidence, and reignite their libido!
Connect with Dr. Renee
Facebook: Renee Wellenstein
YouTube: Dr. Renee Wellenstein
iTunes: The Real Heal
Spotify: The Real Heal
About Amber Shaw
Amber is a Body Transformation Expert, Founder of The Wellness Revolution, motivational speaker, and NBC Health and Wellness Coach. Having built a lifestyle that allowed her to embrace work, children, exercise, and well-balanced eating habits, Amber now works with helping and coaching women to achieve the same level of serenity and empowerment through a sustainable way of living.
Connect with Amber
Facebook: Amber Shaw