The Wellness Revolution Podcast with Amber Shaw
TWR 082: Shifting Your Identity with Anthony Trucks
How many different identities do we go through as women? Mom, wife, caregiver, nanny, divorcee, cat lady? Do you even realize when your identity actually shifts? How can we do anything meaningful in life and appreciate it when we don’t know who we are? In this episode Amber is talking to Anthony Trucks, author of Identity Shift: Upgrade How You Operate to Elevate Your Life.
As a foster child, Anthony’s earliest memories were bombarded with bouncing from home to home. As life happened, he ended up being adopted in his teens to an all-white family that added another layer to his identity. Then he added football, children, marriage, divorce, NFL, and injury to those layers as well. The question becomes, how do you navigate the change and control it rather than it controlling you?
Anthony compares our bodies to a computer where our bodies are the hardware. Things like marriage and business are the programs that are running, and then our health is the operating system. Our identity is the invisible force that talks to all of it. Taking control of it requires awareness. It doesn’t stop there, though. Once you gain that awareness, you shift your mindset. For example, too many of us start our days with negative thoughts. “I’m dumb.” or, “There’s no way I can do that.” As simple as it may sound, try starting your day with, “I’m a kick-ass woman!”
Really, Amber? Is that all we’re talking about, here? Not exactly. You’ve told yourself that you’re amazing (and you are), but now what are you going to do to back up that claim? It’s time for action, but the actions should align with your affirmations. Do that, and you will start noticing some changes.
You in, Mama? Tune in for more!
- “I think the biggest problem we have with change is not the change– but knowing who we are within the change. Because, if you don’t know who you are within it, you don’t know how to navigate it.” –Anthony Trucks
- We have always been the ones that create who we are as people, but we have rarely done so with intention. We can actually take the reins over our identity.
- We have to take ownership of our identities, even if it is painful to realize that we are at the center of every problem we have had.
- Identity is who you are when you aren’t thinking about who you are.
- To control our identity, we have to be aware and see it. Then we can take action to change it– our thoughts and emotions will follow the lead.
- Change and growth happen when we are uncomfortable.
- Cymbiotika discount code: AMBER15
- Little Black Dress Bootcamp: ambershaw.com/little-black-dress-bootcamp
Connect with Anthony
Shift Method Coaching: members.anthonytrucks.com/coaching-call
Connect with Amber
Facebook: Amber Shaw