The Wellness Revolution Podcast with Amber Shaw
TWR 123: Don’t Treat Symptoms, Treat the Cause with Michelle Shapiro
Everywhere you look, there is information about what kind of diet works best. Although restrictive diets can produce results for you, they will not necessarily be sustainable, so your weight loss will not be long-term. You can begin to see real progress on your journey when you address the core issues rather than just the symptoms you are trying to stop.
Historically, dietitians have followed the Food Pyramid, but now Doctors view dietitians as abandoning nutritional science in favor of HAES/Intuitive Eating. Michelle Shapiro RD, our podcast guest today, calls herself the “Queen of the Middle Ground” because she strives to bridge the differences between dietitians.
It is very divisive in the nutrition world now, with different RDs adhering to different approaches. Consequently, Michelle believes that the patient is left out of the equation. Using a holistic approach, Michelle empowers each client to become their own expert on their own body.
In this episode, Michelle shares her journey to becoming an integrative/functional dietitian, describes functional medicine, and discusses the importance of language and mindset in healing.
- What does it look like to bridge the gap with dietitians? Michelle shares her story
- Deficiencies in chronic illness treatment within our highly specialized medical system
- What is functional medicine? What is the difference between an integrated, functional, and alternative/holistic practitioner?
- Do functional doctors have the same training as conventional doctors?
- Michelle explains Wellness Map, which she created to improve access and affordability of integrative care
- Is integrative/functional medicine covered by insurance?
- Options for accessing care
- The importance of self-talk and intentional language
- Body positivity’s flaws and how nutrition science can help
- Rather than treating symptoms, target the underlying cause
- Amber’s Little Black Dress Bootcamp: ambershaw.com/little-black-dress-bootcamp
- Get your Liposomal Glutathione from Cymbiotika and use code AMBER15 for 15% off
About Michelle Shapiro
Michelle Shapiro is an Integrative/Functional Registered Dietitian from NYC with 8+ years of experience serving over 1000 clients to reverse their anxiety, heal longstanding gut issues and approach weight loss lovingly and in a body-neutral way.
Michelle is also the founder of Wellness Map, a functional medicine advocacy membership to help clients get connected with holistic healthcare providers.
Connect with Michelle
About Amber Shaw
Amber is a Body Transformation Expert, Founder of The Wellness Revolution, motivational speaker, and NBC Health and Wellness Coach. Having built a lifestyle that allowed her to embrace work, children, exercise, and well-balanced eating habits, Amber now works with helping and coaching women to achieve the same level of serenity and empowerment through a sustainable way of living.
Connect with Amber