The Wellness Revolution Podcast with Amber Shaw
TWR 130: How to Set Goals and Actually Achieve Them
As we are heading into another New Year, this is the perfect time to talk about goal setting. You may be reflecting on the last year and thinking about what you want to achieve in 2023, but what if you have been approaching goal setting all wrong? For Amber, she used to set extreme goals that would eventually fade out, leading to a feeling of failure and frustration. What she has learned is that so often, we aren’t setting realistic and sustainable goals. You should know that we are all about “realistic and sustainable” around here, so how do we approach goal setting in a way that sets us up for success and gets us those wins? Amber has 3 tips in this episode to help you transform how you are setting goals so you can actually achieve them.
Amber’s first tip is to focus on the process instead of the outcome. Instead of setting a goal of losing X amount of weight, think about what it would take to get there, and work your way backward. Maybe part of that is getting a regular workout routine, which means setting aside time for it, which could mean getting up earlier, which means going to bed earlier. Now your new goal is to go to bed at a certain time, which is specific and sets you up to achieve the bigger picture. When you focus on the habits of a healthy person, weight loss is the byproduct.
The next tip is to go SLOW. For so many of us, we have a knee-jerk reaction to jump into a “quick-fix” diet, but we already know those do not work for long-lasting results. To make lasting, sustainable change, we need to go slowly. What we want to achieve is a lifestyle change that will stick, and that doesn’t happen overnight. It happens with intentional incremental changes and mindset shifts.
The third tip is to make sure you are setting SMART goals. This stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely. All goals should have a component of each of these, and Amber walks you through what that looks like. You may be thinking that your goal is weight loss, but If you want to lose weight and keep it off for good, you need to focus on both the mindset and what it will actually take to get to that goal. Tune in to hear these tips and walk into 2023 with goals that will actually stick!
- Amber shares how she has shifted her goal-setting over the years after realizing the old way was not working
- People hop on diets at the beginning of the year for quick fixes but the problem is that they don’t focus on how to maintain it, so the weight comes back
- Tip #1: Focus on the PROCESS, not the OUTCOME
- Tip #2: Go slowly- sustainable and realistic changes won’t happen with a quick fix
- Tip #3: Setting SMART goals- realistic, measurable, achievable, realistic, and timely
- Celebrate the wins!
- Kroma Wellness 5-Day Reset – Use code AMBER for 15% off: kromawellness.com
- Open New Year’s Free Challenge: withopen.com/WELLNESSREVOLUTION Get free, unlimited digital access to Open Jan 1-31. Complete 31 practices in 31 days – any digital class and/or in-person at their studio in Venice, CA. When you complete the challenge, you get entered to win an Open in-person retreat!
Connect with Amber