The Wellness Revolution Podcast with Amber Shaw
TWR 132: Is Alzheimer’s Preventable?
There has been a lot of buzz recently in the medical community about Alzheimer’s and the disease’s link to insulin resistance. You might have heard that some medical professionals are now referring to Alzheimer’s as “type 3 diabetes” due to research findings indicating that people with type 2 diabetes are at a higher risk of Alzheimer’s due to its correlation with insulin resistance. Amber recently read a scary statistic stating that two-thirds of Alzheimer’s patients are women, and less than 2% of cases are believed to be due to a genetic predisposition. So the questions become: why are women more likely to develop Alzheimer’s, and if it is not due to genetics, what can we do to prevent it?
Is now a known fact that insulin plays a huge part in the development of Alzheimer’s, so we should be looking at the preventive measures for type 2 diabetes as a way to also prevent Alzheimer’s. These lifestyle shifts are the same habits that Amber teaches in her coaching practice as her approach to sustainable weight loss and a healthier lifestyle. These habits include: consuming less processed foods, regular exercise, more protein and fiber, regular sleep, and stress management. Amber also mentions certain tools for checking your blood sugar if you are curious about how certain foods affect your levels.
We know that continued high blood sugar levels lead to inflammation which can damage brain cells, which can lead to neurological diseases such as Alzheimer’s. Now that we know this direct link to this terrible disease, why wouldn’t we make changes to our lifestyle to ensure we are doing all that we can to avoid it? Amber’s goal with this episode and The Wellness Revolution podcast in general, is to arm you with information so that you can be your own advocate for your health.
- Alzheimer’s is plaguing so many women and we are not talking about it enough
- The recent buzz in health and wellness referring to Alzheimer’s as type 3 diabetes
- Why is it called type 3 diabetes? What does that mean?
- The correlation between insulin resistance and Alzheimer’s
- Amber explains the role of insulin
- Risk factors for Alzheimer’s and type 2 diabetes are the same, so now that we know this what do we do?
- New research points to Alzheimer’s being preventable
- Amber’s intention is to create a level of awareness for a disease that is not talked about enough
- Amber’s free intermittent fasting guide: ambershaw.com/fasting
- Kroma Wellness 5-Day Reset – Use code AMBER for 15% off: kromawellness.com
About Amber Shaw
Amber is a Mind and Body Transformation Expert, Founder of The Wellness Revolution, motivational speaker, and NBC Health and Wellness Coach. Having built a lifestyle that allowed her to embrace work, children, exercise, and well-balanced eating habits, Amber now works helping and coaching women to achieve the same level of serenity and empowerment through a sustainable way of living.
Connect with Amber